Friday, September 01, 2006

I Love Jesus More Than my Eyes

That is the hardest thing I have ever had to admit. What do you need to love Jesus more than? If you can’t put every person you know and every worldly possession that you own at the end of “I Love Jesus more than…” than you have something in your life that will keep you from knowing and trusting God in the deepest way. Whatever you love is what your life will revolve around. If its money you love then your life will revolve around making it and your life will be controlled by the desire for more of it. If it’s a person than you will do everything in your power to make that person happy and you can’t think about what you would do without that person in your life. If it’s yourself than you will do everything in your power to make sure that you are the center of attention and that every need is met even at the expense of others. I have told my family that I believe God has this happening to me so that we can each “figure it out”. I really serve a very selfish God that wants more than my attention. He wants my thoughts, attention, devotion, time, possessions and anything else that I could put before him. After all, the first of the Ten Commandments is “thou shalt have no other God’s before me” isn’t it? If I can’t love Jesus more than my eyes than can I say that I have put him first? If you have a loved one dealing with a physical condition right now and you have a relationship with Jesus but care more about what’s happening to them rather than trusting that their life is in Jesus’ hands then are they your God? If you are in the middle of a serious financial situation and more concerned about just “making more money” than trusting God for your every need do you have the relationship with Him that you thought you did? Your reaction in a negative situation will be the true gauge of the strength of your relationship with God. I believe that worry and a lack of trust in God in hard times is a byproduct of a lack of a relationship with Christ. I am saying this from personal experience and not from a judgmental attitude. Think about it; if I trusted God then why would I worry? I can say that I discovered a lot about the lack of relationship I had with God when I started going through everything physically in my life. I learned that it is not about the amount of time I spend with him, how much of the Bible I read or even my position in the church. It’s about letting all my guards down and asking God to change me from the inside out. I am not saying that our life and the lessons that God teaches us will be easy but I do think that in the end they will be worth it. We have to learn another level of faith in Christ that transcends the crap that we see (no pun intended) here on this earth to be able to see into the heavenly realm to something greater. The hardest thing about that statement is that God loves us enough to keep us in that place of “learning” until we get it.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

wow I just realized i have to love jesus more than you....wow THANKS BRI. -s