Monday, September 18, 2006

Jesus is my crutch

What do you lean on? Did you realize that everyone has a “crutch” that they lean on when times get tough? I was told a few years ago that God was just a crutch that I lean on in my life and that I couldn’t stand on my own. I was thinking about that tonight as I was praying about my situation with my eye. Everyone that I know has a crutch or something that they lean on. For some people, it is their money and the love of making more and more of it. For some, it’s their love of self and the crutch of “self-sufficiency”. I can think of people that lean on friends or others for support in tough times. I guess you can say that God is my crutch. He is the one that I have learned to lean on in this trying time. I went to the eye doctor today and he said that I need to get a second opinion from a doctor in St. Luis in about a month. He is supposed to be one of the best in the world as far as eye conditions like mine. He actually studies the cells that cause the type of inflammation that I have. We have one more drug that we are going to try and my eye doctor here wants me to get the opinion of this other doctor before we start the treatment. My wife was asking me how I could be so happy after this current news that we got today from the eye doctor and I told her that I am not willing to stay where I am at because of a poor attitude. I told her that we can either trust God for the future or have crappy attitudes and stay longer to have God teach us what He wants us to learn. I know that she knew just what i meant and so we are not going to have crappy attitudes keep us in a place of "learning" with God. Who am I to say that God doesn’t want me to meet this world renowned doctor and witness to him in some way? I know now more than any other time in my life that God is absolutely my crutch because I know he won’t break, he won’t come apart and I can lean on Him all day and know that he will support the weight of my life very well. I can’t say that about money because it could always run out. I can’t say that about myself because I know that I will even let myself down sometimes with discouragement and confusion and I can’t say that about any human being that I know because every person on this earth has the ability to let another person down. So think about your life and what you lean on when times get tough. Is there enough alcohol in the bottle to wash away life’s pain? Is there enough marijuana to keep a person high enough to forget about life's issues? They will still be there when the buzz is gone and the high turns into a sluggish low. I choose to lean on Jesus and the strength of that crutch.

No comments: