Thursday, September 07, 2006

Staying Motivated


What does it take to motivate you? Actually, the greater question is what are you motivated to do in your life? I thought about what causes people to do the things they do on a daily basis. For some people it is looking in the mirror and seeing that they need to lose a few pounds around the middle so they start to exercise on a regular basis. For others it’s the loss of a loved one to alcohol abuse in some way so they decide to change their lives and stop drinking. The real question is not what starts the motivation it is what keeps the motivation. I have seen many people be motivated to start something good for their lives, but then quit because they “lose motivation”. I can remember when I was in high school and was all motivated to get up early every morning and go running to get in shape for basketball. I started with a blaze of glory. I had motivational pictures up in my room with sayings that were going to keep me going and cause me to get up and get in shape. Somewhere between the third and fourth week I gave up. I lost my motivation and have not gotten up early in the morning like that to run ever since. At the time, I thought that the most important thing in my life was to make the basketball team and be in shape. It wasn’t that I didn’t want to make the team and that I wanted to be out of shape that caused me to quit. It was that I didn’t think it was important enough to make the sacrifice of getting up early to exercise. So I go back to my original question; what does it take to motivate you? It has been very difficult these past couple of years to stay motivated to pray and believe for the very best for my life. I have discovered that at the foundation of motivation in my life that if I don’t have a fresh relationship with God every day of my life that I will lose motivation to want to get to know him. I challenge you to seek a relationship with God that goes beyond a single experience and into a consistent experience with him.

No comments: