Sunday, October 29, 2006

Mental Inventory

My mom and uncle were in a car accident yesterday and it was an interesting mental inventory that I took. It seems that in the past two and a half years I have taken quite a few of those. They are both fine, but the reality that we are not promised tomorrow hit me square in the face. If you think about it, we live in a world of false guarantees. We build our lives and attitudes assuming that we will live to see tomorrow when really that is a great myth. Every time I get up in the morning I may not live to see that night and I think we need to always remember that. When my dad called me this morning and told me about my mom and uncle I wondered what the rest of the sentence would be. In thinking about the report that I got from the doctors in St. Louis this past week I was reminded yesterday that I need to live for today and not base my attitude on the incorrect assumption that I will even live to see tomorrow. This really reinforces my thoughts on not worrying about tomorrow because that is exactly what the devil wants you to do to steal your today

No comments: