Tuesday, October 17, 2006

Dont take the simple things for granted



We always want what we don’t have. I think I understand what that statement means now more than ever. Since I have been sick I have had a chance to take a mental inventory of my life and really think about the things that are important to me. I have never really been a person who liked to read books but once I got sick I thought of the possibility of not being able to read anymore because of my eye condition. I also was thinking of all the things that I visually took for granted when I had perfect vision; a beautiful sunset or sunrise, the mountains, etc. I never even thought about the things that were so basic to me when I was not sick. I know that I am a different person now that I have this perspective in my life and can really appreciate the things that I would have taken for granted even a few years ago. When you don’t think that you will be able to see anymore your vision becomes like a commodity and you think about how you are going to “spend” that commodity. Don’t take for granted the things that God gives you like the ability to see, walk, touch, smell, taste and hear. These are some of the greatest gifts that God has given us and we need to be grateful that we have them and realize that there are others in the world that don’t have these basic gifts that we so often take for granted.

No comments: