Friday, October 20, 2006

Consistency leads to Conformity

Did you realize that whatever you are consistent in you conform to? I think this is in all areas of our lives but even more so with our walk with God. I know that God wants us to have consistency with him so that we can conform to what he wants us to be. When everything is going good in our lives we can sometimes lose the commitment to stay consistent with God in prayer or Bible reading. As a long time believer in Christ, I know that I have had a misconception of what prayer is to me. Without admitting it, I would have said that prayer is a wish list to Jesus that includes everything that will make me feel better about my day and life. The power that I see in prayer now is as much the consistency as it is the actual request. The same is true with the Bible. I can either view it as a nice book of ethical stories, or I can see it as important as the prednisone that I have to take every day or my eye will rot out of my head. The Bible says in Romans 12:2 that we should not conform to this world, but be transformed by the renewing of our mind. We will conform to what we are consistent with. If you want to know the mind and heart of God and let him help you to make decisions that will be for your best then have consistency in your Bible and prayer time. These are both exercises that will help your mind focus on Him and not on the crap that you may be going through in your life. Our mind is what the devil wants to attack and our mind is what God wants us to set on him so that we can have an awesome life that is full of blessing. I believe that God lets us get into struggles in our lives to push us towards that consistency that leads to conformity. Conformity can sound like such a terrible word. It has implications or having to surrender your will or to be like someone else and have to lose your identity. I want my identity to be in Christ and I want to willingly conform to what he wants because I admit that I don’t know as much as God and want to have his mind in me everyday to not only help me make important decisions, but to also have a relationship with me.

No comments: