Thursday, November 30, 2006

what do you worship in worship?

There are lots of things to worship in a worship service when the only one we should be worshipping is Jesus. If you think about it, many times when we are in church during the worship time we base our experience on lots of things. If we like the songs that we are singing then we probably get into worship more or sing more. If we like the band and the sound of the band then it seems easier to enter in and worship God. If we like the worship leader and the tone of their voice and if they sing in a range that we can sing in then we are all good. I am not pointing fingers at anyone who goes by those set of rules when they come into a church worship service because my whole job is to make sure that people at my church have a good experience with worship and the service in general. I guess I am just saying that we really need to think about who we are worshipping in Jesus and not all the “things” that make up our worship experience. We can get caught in a place of pleasing ourselves instead of taking ourselves out of the equation and pleasing God with a heart that says we don’t care what the music sounds like or the songs we sing or the way we sing them. We just want to honor the God of the universe with a heart that says “more Lord”. We have a lady in our church that some people would maybe consider strange because of the way she worships God. I see her every Sunday morning and I wish more people would enjoy their worship experience like her. She wouldn’t care what song we were singing or how it was sung because she is so into worshipping God that she doesn’t have time to “evaluate” the worship experience. God give me a relationship with you that goes beyond my mind and straight to my heart.

No comments: