Tuesday, November 14, 2006

Be careful what you sing, you just might get it


There are some songs that we sing in church that I never really paid much attention to until after I got sick. I can remember lots of songs that say I’ll serve you God no mater the cost and if it costs me everything, I’ll obey. When life is breezin by and everything is going good you don’t really think much about those words and the subconscious verbal promises you are making God. When I got sick my perspective on the words that came out of my mouth changed. I am in a place now that I really think about the words that come out of my mouth in a worship service. Why would I have ever thought that God would put me in a place to so completely test my faith and to make me put actions behind those words that I have sung since I was a kid in church? We come into a worship time with God and think that it’s just about singing nice and feeling warm and fuzzy instead of realizing that we are making verbal proclamations to the creator of the universe. Next time you are in church think about what you are singing and realize that some day you may have to put actions behind those words. One of the things that I say now whenever I lead worship in any setting is “don’t sing it unless you mean it”. Realize today that your words have power and that you can affect your destiny by the things you speak over your life. That is a hard lesson I am learning right now because of all the crap I am going through with my eye and physical health. I want to speak what I see in the physical when I know I need to be dwelling on the supernatural.

No comments: