Sunday, November 05, 2006

what's really important


I used to think that the most important thing about being a Christian was what I did for God. This eyeball time, as I like to call it, has really changed my concept on Christianity. If our walk with God was based on the things that we do for him then we would develop a false understanding of the expectations of what it means to follow Christ. I used to think that my greatest calling or purpose in life was to win souls for the kingdom of God or to read my Bible everyday and pray long extensive hours but those things are not true. They are all very important elements to a true Christian walk, but my highest calling in this life and on this earth is to know God. That sounds so simple but it is not something that is looked at as a priority in this life. It is about the doing for God instead of the being with God that we emphasize. When I focus on wanting to get to know him, then the other things I mentioned flow out of that. It takes me from a place of having a servant mentality to having a son mentality. It takes me from the obligation to serve God to the privilege of serving him. Anytime in life when we feel like we have to do something out of obligation we will always be looking for the end. When we want to do something we are not looking for the end but enjoying the time we spend on the journey.

No comments: