Monday, November 27, 2006

value


What do you value? It’s an interesting question. Before I got sick with my eye I had a very different “scale” that I would use to put a value on something. I was thinking about this with Christmas coming up and all the issues that have come up with the new video game system the Playstation 3. It is a video game system that cost between $500 and $600 dollars just for the system. That doesn’t include an extra controller or any games or the special video cable that you need to make it high definition. If you look on ebay right now people are buying these systems for at least twice and sometimes three times what they are worth. People are wiling to pay that kind of money if they see the value in it. If you put a great level of value in something you are willing to pay anything and willing to do just about anything to get it. To someone who doesn’t play video games that kind of money for a game system can seem like a pretty stupid investment but to a hard core video gamer that seems like a reasonable price to pay for such a great piece of electronics. I then thought about my relationship with Jesus. Is it something that I put enough value in that I would do anything to have or maintain that relationship with him and would the people around me see that I valued Jesus so much that I would be willing to make any sacrifice for him? It says in 1 Corinthians 1:18 that “the message of the cross is foolishness to those who are perishing or dying, but to those who are being saved it is the power of God.” I think that the more time that we decide to spend with Jesus the more we see the value of having a relationship with him and the better we can understand his love for us. Before I got sick I didn’t really put a great value on being able to see. Now that I have been dealing with this eye condition for the past two and a half years I understand the power of vision and the value in it. Today ask God to keep your perspective correct in what you put value in over the holiday season and ask God to maybe change the “value evaluator” in your life. I know for me that I don’t want people to have to go through what I have called “dangly eyeball time” to help change their perspective on what is important and what has real value in their lives.

No comments: