Wednesday, November 29, 2006

the church vs. the storm


Another interesting observation tonight – we had our church service tonight and it went pretty good. The only problem is that we had about half the people we normally have. My observation was not being able to count the less people in the sanctuary but the fact that they stayed home because of the weather. Now, I live in Colorado so its not like people don’t know how to drive in bad weather around here. The interesting observation is that we could have four feet of snow on the ground with blizzard conditions in the mountains under a storm warning with all chain laws in effect and people would find a way to get to the ski hill or snowmobile area…but not church. It really is about what we think is important in our lives. So instead of pointing the finger at them I need to look at my own motivation for being in church besides the fact that I am paid to be there. I know that I need to be motivated to be in church because I want to be there and not because I feel like I have to be there. I will only get out of church what I put into it and seek to get from not just the preacher but from God for that night and specifically listening to what God is trying to tell me. I know that if I can connect with Jesus at church it is really more enjoyable than skiing down some double black diamond at Copper Mountain or going sixty miles an hour down some snowmobile trail. I think that we feel church is about learning the “rules of life” instead of looking at it as an opportunity to connect with the God of the universe and listen to what he has to say. Make church a priority. I know its not about “organized religion” but there is something supernatural about the church body meeting together to worship God and study the Bible which really is the guidebook for life.

No comments: