Sunday, November 12, 2006

more than a promise


I was thinking about Noah and the rainbow that God gave him after the 40 days and 40 nights of the flood as a promise to never flood the earth again. I thought about what was going through Noah and his family’s mind about the 39th day of everything that was going on and wondering if it was ever going to end. That rainbow that God gave to Noah was not just the promise for the future but a changing of seasons in the present. It was going from a season of rain and destruction to the earth drying out and life to begin again. When I think of the “season” that my wife and I are going through right now it is hard to believe that it will ever end. I really feel mentally like Noah on the 39th day of rain and asking God if there is really ever going to be a change of seasons. We have 286,000 miles on our car and my wife asked me if we were ever going to have a new vehicle and I gave her some smart-aleck response and said with the way life is going right now probably not. I was speaking honestly out of how I felt but I know that it’s not about what I feel it’s about what promises God has given me that says we have seasons in our lives; seasons for growing and seasons for dying. I also know that in Hebrews it talks about how the trials that I go through will only produce good things if I am trained by them. If you are going through something in your life remember the rainbow that God gave Noah as a promise but also an assurance that life is made up of seasons and to ask God for the patience to learn what he is trying to teach you in the crap you face today to develop strength for your tomorrow.

No comments: