Sunday, December 17, 2006

strength in relationships

The strength of any relationship is not in agreement but in disagreement. I don’t think we realize the depth of that statement. When you have a relationship with anyone you have the ability to have a disagreement. The strength or depth of that relationship is tested or explored each time you disagree with that person. I think that if you know that person is not trying to intentionally hurt you then you are more willing to disagree with them and be able to walk away with a respect for them and their opinion. I also think that our relationship with God is also tested not when everything is going well and we are in “agreement” with his ways but when things are going rough. I know that in the season that I feel like I am in that I have disagreed with his methods to get me to a place of listening and trusting in him. There has never been a time in my life where I have had to trust that God like I have the past two and a half years. The true barometer of my relationship with God is tested each time my eye flares up or my back hurts or my mind starts to wander about all the things that can go wrong in my life because of the prednisone that I am on. I need to see my attitude with God getting better each time one of these things crop up in my life. If I am not getting closer to God and trusting him more than I am moving away from him and trusting him less. I want to have a strong relationship with God and the only way that I can do that is to trust him more.

No comments: