Tuesday, January 02, 2007

My dog's new name is Colonel Sanders

My dog got into our garbage the other day and started to eat the greasy chicken out of the trash. I told my wife that I am going to start calling him Colonel Sanders aka Mr. Kentucky Fried Chicken. I thought about how much we are like my dog when it comes to our relationship with God. My dog wanted to get into the trash because he thought he smelled something that would taste good and although it was in a trash bag he really didn’t care. He didn’t understand that there was probably a reason why we had put chicken in a plastic bag on the floor of our kitchen instead of keeping it in the fridge so that it would still be edible. All he knew was that it smelled good, he was hungry and he wanted it. How many times do we ignore God when he doesn’t give us something and we think is so important for us to have not thinking that God knows why we are not getting what we are asking for? Needless to say, my dog was not feeling too hot for that night and the better part of the next day. We push it with God sometimes when he says no to our requests in life and then we wonder why we have consequences to our actions. I want to trust that there is a reason why God is not giving me what I want and understand that he is smarter than I am knowing what I need when I need it. Don’t be like my dog that was rummaging through the trash for things that he should have never gotten into. Trust that there is a reason why God is not giving you what you want.

No comments: